Monday, April 8, 2013

Blue is my favorite color!

If you ever have been to our home, you can clearly see that blue is my favorite color. How can you not love blue, it's the color that reminds me of the beach, laying on a towel looking into the crystal clear ocean, holding a cocktail in your hand. True serenity! So I decided to add some more blue to our home and I'm so happy with the end results.

I have never stenciled before and I thought how difficult could it be.....well it was a lot tougher than I thought.  It wasn't the stenciling that was tough, but the wall I decided to tackle.  It's a 20' foot wall and well, Im 5'2 and so it became a challenge. Thank goodness for my hubs!!! This was a project I was going to do by myself. Nope!  It turned out he did most of the work and I'm so thankful for his help!

First, I purchased our Birch Forest stencil from Cutting Edge Stencils. I have seen it on other blogs and fell in love with the design and feel of it - so why not!

Before. 


Now it was time to primer the wall....

Half way there.


Stenciling begins....... The truth is the first time we tried the stencil it looked horrible!!  I was mortified and so sad, but went on-line and saw that someone recommended adding adhesive to the back of the stencil as it would stick to the wall then you could peel it off. So we headed over to Home Depot and bought the 3M adhesive and sprayed away! It worked!! Made things quite sticky, but it made the stencil much more clear and sharp.  


This was a longgggg project because you are constantly spraying adhesive, measuring the stencil to the one you already painted on the wall, painting, removing the stencil and holding a hair dyer to the wall so it dries quicker. In all, it took us about 10 hours to complete the wall. Worth every minute!

Removing the stencil.

My hero!

Something was missing!




Taa-Daa!
Adding the wood mirror made it complete. I thought the wood went hand-in-hand with the forest theme. I think it looks pretty fabulous! The blue I used was from Dunn-Edwards - Rainy Lake. I also use this blue in our family room (Family-Room Makeover). It goes great in our stairway.


 photo SIG-24_zps53ac4fe5.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips